Principal's Newsletter and Mailings
Dear Harrison High School Families,
Harrison High School is back! Our campus is filled with activity as students return to academics and extracurriculars and re-energize our school community. I am inspired by your children as they discover and define their personalized pathways for learning at Harrison High School. Our team of educators is here to help them navigate their unique journeys each step of the way.
Grade Level Class Meetings with Students
Last week, our two Assistant Principals, Mrs. Griffo and Mr. Mastrota, and I held class meetings with each grade level. We shared with students opportunities for being active and involved at HHS, including club information, access to resources, and student expectations for behavior from the Code of Conduct. Our message to students is always their shared responsibility in making Harrison High School the high school they want to attend.
Welcome Back PTA Meeting
At our PTA Meeting last week parents had the opportunity to meet the building administrative team along with our Director of Guidance, Mrs. Kelly Malczewski, and our Athletic Director, Mr. Christopher Galano. We focused on the importance of student involvement and balance in creating a well-rounded student profile. PTA meetings are held monthly, I encourage you to attend if your schedule allows.
Information and Reminders
At both the Student Grade Level Class Meetings and PTA Meeting the following important information was shared:
- Late Buses: Late buses are available at 4:00 p.m., 4:45 p.m., and 5:00 p.m. on the Student Union Patio.
- Free Lunch and Breakfast: The USDA reimburses school districts for the price of breakfast and lunch meals during the 2021-2022 school year. As a result, all meals served during the upcoming school year will be at NO COST to students. Families who qualify, should still complete the application for Free/Reduced Lunch (Español) as many other opportunities for students are connected to student eligibility (Español)
- Open House: Open House on October 13th will be virtual with video tutorials sent in one email recorded by each of your child’s teachers.
- The Daily Bulletin is sent each day to students and is available on the high school website for parents.
- To ensure the safety of students and to comply with applicable regulations associated with the administration of medications to students in the school setting, please see the guidance available on our website.
The high school is certainly a vibrant place with systems, structures, and, most importantly, people in place to support your children. Some recent highlights and upcoming events to note:
- Senior Parent College Information Night was held on September 21st followed by College Financial Aid Night on September 23rd. Recordings of these events are available on the Harrison High School website.
- Our Seniors are meeting with school counselors to finalize college lists and work on applications. The final College Essay Workshop for our seniors was held by the English Department this past Saturday, September 25th.
- SAT and ACT Testing: Upcoming opportunity for Seniors to take the ACT on October 5th and/or SAT on October 12th during the school day at Harrison High School.
- The PTA Meeting on October 20th will feature a presentation by our school counselors, social workers, and health teachers on Self Care: Practicing Health Habits (Managing Your Child’s Screen Time, Sleep, and Schedule).
As we celebrate Spirit Week, students are showing their Husky Pride by dressing up in a different theme each day. Don’t worry if your children leave home in some unusual outfits as we come together as a school community to support our teams! We invite the entire Harrison community to join us on Friday, October 1st, at 7 p.m. for the annual Pep Rally on the Harrison High School Football Field followed by a bonfire on the lower fields, and the Harrison Huskies/Rye Garnets football game on Saturday, October 2nd at 3:30 p.m. at Harrison High School. Go Huskies!
Ms. Kimberly Beukema